Monday Morning Star Count 2014/8

Monday, February 24, 2014
What a busy week!  I took some time with my granddaughter, Gracie, to teach her basting hexagons.  Gracie was born at 31 weeks, has a form of autism,  and struggles with her small motor skills.  She actually used the needle :) without my help, and stayed focused long enough to complete 7 - 1" hexies.

When she first started she poked her finger and cried.  I gave her a big hug and told her she would get the hang of it.  Although she was hesitant, she took my thimble (she refused it at first) and put it on her thumb and carried on.  Now for the funny part, when she was finishing her last hexagon, I said, "See, there is no crying in sewing." and she replied (very seriously), "G-Mom, there is no crying in sewing until someone pokes themselves with a needle!"  I couldn't help but laugh.  So here she is:




And look at how proud she was when she finished!  She chose all of her own colors and this is the very first time she basted all by herself.  I am so proud of her!

And so now for my progress.  I was able to add one more section and completed 3 more flowers.



And thank you to everyone who provided suggestions for thimbles!  It was very helpful and I ordered several to try.  I will write a separate post next week with the results.  You are all wonderful!

I am linking up with Jessica at Life Under Quilts!  Check it out and join the fun!

4 comments

  1. Great job Gracie! Your progress is pretty too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pamela! It is coming along :) and I get anxious each week to see how much I can get done!

      Delete
  2. Awesome! Your granddaughter is fabulous--what a great grin on her face. Any plans for what you will do with her hexies? She will never forget making those with you!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle! She is loving it, but she can't wait until she gets the hang of the needle and stops poking herself :). She told me tonight that she wants to make the hexies into a blanket for her dolls. I think this is a great idea because it will be small enough for her to finish everything by hand. I hope she does remember. I have very fond memories of my Grandmother showing me how her treadle machine worked. I have that old machine and every time I see it, I smile. I was only 12 when she passed away, but I think of her so often. She was one of those people who could just look at something and figure out how to make it. I hope my granddaughter has as many fond memories!

      Delete